Wednesday 22 July 2009

The ongoing shruggle

Yes, that's right - I'm still at it. I started this in November last year and it's still going strong. Or should that be wrong?

Actually, though, I have improved no end. The back is complete and I've nearly finished the left front, and between now and November I did knit the back of a cabled tunic. So it's not too bad, I guess. I've definitely learnt a lot - such as don't knit with Kid Silk Haze, learn how to read charts before you start using them, lace is really, really hard. I also know what the stitches are supposed to look like so I know when I've gone wrong sooner. I understand where I've gone wrong too, which means my next lace project should be much easier. And yes, there will be a next lace project.

I might even do Cobweb again. But I don't think I'd do it in KSH. While it's light as air and pretty as the sea, it's a bugger to knit with and the stitch definition ain't great. But it's for my mum and she loves KSH, and that's the main thing. I think maybe a 4-ply mercerised cotton knitted up on larger needles would work quite well.



Here's the back and left front. The eagle-eyed among you might notice there's a small mistake in the lace. When I noticed it I decided it was far too late to rip it back. Besides, it's the mistakes that make it unique.



And here's a close up of the lace - the bit I got right. Check out that hot-pink duvet cover underneath! I'm very pleased I persevered with this.

No comments: