Wednesday 25 July 2012

Crocheted flags galore

A few weeks ago I blogged about my Union Jack iPhone cover and pattern, Fly the Flag. This got me to thinking. What about a whole line of flag iPhone covers?


Could Fly the Flag be the start of a whole range of
flag-inspired items?

France, Germany and Italy would be easy, as they’re just stripes - easier than the Union Jack, even. I think I could do the United States, if a white square would be an acceptable substitute for a star. A look at World Flag Database (the internet truly does have everything) revealed that there are loads of flags that would be as easy or easier than the UK’s. Sweden and Finland are crosses. Armenia, Austria and Romania are stripes. South Africa and Seychelles are more complicated, but again with some graph paper and patience I’m pretty sure I could work them both out.

France, the Faroes and Finland - all easy.

And why limit this to iPhone covers? I use 4ply cotton to make these small pieces, and it would be rather time consuming to use it to make anything bigger, like Kindle or iPad covers. But using a thicker cotton would seriously speed things up and make bigger items more feasible. I could even recreate Sherlock’s famous Union Jack cushion covers!

No comments: