Wednesday 4 December 2013

Finishing things

It's time to bite the bullet and finish off some projects that have been hanging around for a while




Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been trying to finish some things off. This has meant some blocking, some sewing and little bit of learning.

Blocks off
First up was the blocking. These squares are for a crochet blanket design. I’ve made 10 of the circles-in-squares motifs and thought it best to block a few and start getting the blanket put together. I soon ran into a problem: I’ve got more pink inners than I’ve got red. So I’ve blocked what I’ve got and started joining. But it’s back to the crocheting for that one really.

Blocking the motifs, with help from Poppy.
Photo by Idoru Knits.
Sewn up
The knitting was completed on my Comme Ca crossover top quite a while ago, but I’ve been putting off the sewing up. I wanted to start wearing it, though, so out came the pins and the darning needles.

The complication with this top is that there are three bits: a back and two fronts to create the crossover. It didn’t actually occur to me that having three pieces of fabric would require more sewing until I got to this stage.
It didn’t occur to me that having three pieces of fabric would require more sewing
I’ve never joined three pieces of knitting before, and according to the internet no-one else has either. This obviously isn’t true, but a Google search didn’t turn up any information on seaming three pieces of material, although there was plenty on sewing together two.

Trying to join all three layers in one go seemed a bit complicated, so I decided to join two in the usual way and then sew the top layer on afterwards. This appears to have worked, creating a neat seam that’s not appreciably different from normal.

The seam looks to be shaping up well
and is as neat as my usual sewing.
Not sure if that's a good thing!
Photo by Idoru Knits.

No comments: