Thursday 24 April 2014

Knitting for others

For once I’ve been knitting for other people and here are the results




Knitters tend to be a generous bunch, spending much of their time making things for other people. Not me, though. I mostly knit for me. This is because I design and I need a model to design for – it just makes sense for that model to be me. Honest, it’s not just that I’m selfish. And to prove that point, recently I have been knitting for other people.
There are loads of gorgeous baby blankets I’d like to make – so can more of you start having babies please?
First, my niece. It’s her birthday this month and I wanted to give her something handmade. The Champs-Elysees wristwarmers were a pattern I found on Ravelry a while ago. At the time it was free from Knit on the Net. Unfortunately it’s not available any more. Knitted in Rowan’s Kidsilk Haze, these are pretty, feminine wristwarmers that are gorgeously fluffy and light. My niece is quite a girly girl so I think (hope!) they’ll be perfect for her.

I actually started making these quite a long time ago, but I managed to lose my print out of the lace chart. By this time the pattern was no longer on Knit on the Net, and I just couldn’t track down a copy. I emailed Knit on the Net, but didn’t get a reply. I thought I was going to have to give up, until I found the designer on Ravelry. She’s Laylock on the website and more of her designs can be seen on the site – check them out; they’re gorgeous. I sent her a message, not with much hope of getting a response. She did reply, though, and took the time to track down the chart and set it up so I could download it from her website. Now that’s customer service.

The finished Champs-Elysees wristwarmers.

I finished the wristwarmers last weekend while I was visiting my parents, so I could leave them with my mum to give to my niece on her birthday. They are quite lovely. This isn’t a pattern for beginners; the lace is really quite complicated and you really have to pay attention to what you’re doing. But the finished product is beautiful.

I’ve also been making baby things for a pregnant friend. First up was a blanket. I was looking for a crochet pattern because I wanted something was a bit ‘antique-y’ and I just think crochet looks more antique than knitting. I also don’t agree with gendering clothes, so there was to be none of this blue or pink business. Sticking with – my idea of – an antique theme, I wanted a sort of deep golden cream colour. Again, this just says antique to me; I don’t know why.

I found the ideal pattern on Ravelry and a lovely soft, machine-washable yarn from King Cole. For once I had no disasters making this and I really like the finished product. I had loads of yarn left over so also made a hat. Another free pattern from Ravelry, this was another nice and easy make.

Baby blanket and hat.

In my searching for the ideal crochet baby blanket pattern I found hundreds of gorgeous baby blankets I’d like to make. So can more of you start having babies please?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooo...love the baby blanket and hat - antiquey vibe works so well!

I'm the opposite kind of knitter, never knitting for myself though, I do have a couple of cardigans that I started ages ago that I plan to finish as part of Me-Made-May.