Thursday 17 July 2014

In your lace

I’ve had to give up on the idea of a wedding ring shawl, but I’ve found something that could be even better




A few weeks ago I wrote about a wedding ring shawl I’d like to knit. Unfortunately the site still isn’t taking orders, and so far both my emails have gone unanswered and no updates have been posted. So I’ve abandoned the idea of getting hold of this pattern.
Pull quote
I’ve queued up two of Beatrice’s patterns, both very beautiful, very complicated Estonian lace shawls
I still want to make a really complicated lace shawl, though, so last night I did a spot of Ravelling. I found some fantastic patterns by Beatrice Olsson. She’s got loads of really stunning lace patterns, so do check her out. I also discovered an option that I wasn’t aware of before. Did you know you can ‘favourite’ designers on Ravelry? This is really useful and whenever I find designers I like I’m going to fave them.

I’ve queued up two of Beatrice’s patterns, both very beautiful, very complicated Estonian lace shawls: Estonian Jewel and Ligonberry Leaf Triangle. At $10 each they’re a lot cheaper than the wedding ring shawl pattern. So much so in fact that I could buy both and still pay less. In fact I spent a lot of time umming and ahhing over which to purchase and then decided that actually I don’t need to choose – I’ll get both. So I did.

This raw silk yarn from Habu Textiles has
been waiting for the perfect project,
and I think either of the two shawls
 would be ideal. Photo by Idoru Knits.
I even have what I think will be the perfect yarn: Tsumugi Silk by Habu Textiles. This 2-ply silk yarn has been sitting in my stash for years. I bought the three skeins on a whim because they were in the sale (I do that a lot), but didn't have a clue what I would use them for. Now I feel either of Beatrice's patterns would be ideal. I've not cast on yet, as I've still got some other things to progress, but I will be starting this soon.

No comments: