Tuesday 25 August 2015

Update: Roseroot shawl knit-a-long

Standfirst and line style:

A couple of problems I’ve encountered while doing my first-ever MKAL



The Roseroot shawl was my first-ever mystery knit-a-long, or MKAL; you can read about how things started out here. At that point I was on clue 3 and things were going well. Clue 4 had just been released and I was about to start.

While I still love this yarn, I really don't think it's the right weight for the shawl.

It was at this point that things started going wrong. Not because of the pattern or the organisation of the MKAL, I hasten to add. No, it was because of me. I got to row 2 of clue 4. This is the first lace row of the clue as all the odd-numbered rows are wrong side. The pattern is to repeat the lace chart until the last 9 stitches. However, I knitted across but had 10 stitches left.

I was sorely tempted to simply add in a k2tog – keep in mind here that there are 327 stitches to work through at this point – but I wasn’t sure if this would throw the lace pattern out. So I undid the whole row and counted all the stitches to make sure there really were 327. There were. I repeated the row. Same problem. I did it again. Same problem.
The problem with being a perfectionist is that when you’ve decided you don’t like something, well, that’s it
Now lace rows are complicated and it’s very easy to miss out a k2tog or an ssk. But it is unusual for me to make the same mistake several times over, so I really couldn’t work out what I was doing wrong. I even put in stitch markers and knitted very, very slowly.

After trying one more time I logged on to Ravelry to ask the designer if there was any advice he could give me. He mentioned slipping in a cheeky k2tog, too, but advised against doing that, so I’m pleased I didn’t go for that option. He gave such a generous and full response I was actually quite moved. I followed his advice and tried again. This time it worked.

But another, much bigger, issue had now surfaced. I no longer liked the yarn. Well, I still liked the yarn, just not for this project. It was more to the laceweight end of things than 4-ply and the shawl just seemed too small. It would grow with blocking and in many ways the size isn’t hugely important, but the problem with being something of a perfectionist is that when you’ve decided you don’t like something, well, that’s it. So I undid the whole thing.

This merino definitely works better to my mind.
This was just prior to heading off for 10 days in Sardinia, where I would have very little to do other than eat good food, drink good wine, read and knit, so at least I was going to have lots of time to make up what I’d lost. And I have, in fact I’m even further on – I’m now up to clue five and will hopefully be posting pics of the finished thing soon.

Close-up shot of clues 4 and 5.

No comments: