Thursday 18 March 2010

All hail crochet!

In the latest issue of Knitting (April 2010), Laura 'Purl Princess' Parkinson makes an excellent case for knitting as the king of crafts. Have you read it? The Princess of Purl certainly has a good argument - that knitting is the most portable and sociable of crafts. But, I fear, she has forgotten crochet, knitting's oft-maligned cousin.

Portability
Crochet is just as easy to shove in a bag as knitting. Easier in fact - just one, small hook and a ball of wool is all you need. That one hook makes it a lot better for doing in cramped spaces, like public transport, too; you're much less likely to elbow any fellow travellers (or is that just me?).

I have a project on the go that I only do when on the train or during lunch at work. A throw made up of around 70 'wagon wheels', it's ideal for just keeping in my bag and doing whenever I've got a spare moment. What's more, in my head it doesn't count as one of my WIPs. Because it's specifically for what would otherwise be 'dead' time. I don't know how this means it doesn't count as a WIP, it just doesn't.

Sociability
Like knitting, crochet is a series of stitches repeated, and once you've got that series stuck in your head it's easy to two things at once: watch TV and crochet, chat with friends and crochet, drink wine and crochet. In fact if I could convince one person to hold my book at eye level, turning pages when I nod my head, and another to hold a wine glass at hand level, I could easily combine my three favourite things!

And another thing
Knitting can be slow-going. You can only add to it one row at a time. But crochet, with its trebles and more grows much more quickly.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you crochet: the true king of crafts!

This is my latest crochet project: a baby blanket for an old work colleague. These pictures aren't very good. The light in my flat is pretty poor for photography. But you get the idea. I've got a couple more rows to go and then it's the border.


Above: blanket with Knitting. Below: close up of blanket to show stitch pattern. The colour is closer to the photo above; it's actually a very pale pink, for a baby girl.

No comments: