Wednesday 15 August 2012

Knitting for Knit Now - my first magazine submission

For the past week or so I’ve been working on a new design for a magazine submission. Knit Now has called for original designs to feature in the Late Winter 2012 issue (January and February). The emphasis is on accessories and quick little knits, so I’m submitting a design I’ve had in mind for a while: a Kindle cover using knit and purl stitches to create a pattern.

The idea is that the cover uses less than one ball of yarn, so can be made using leftovers (good for post-Christmas pockets), it’s easy and quick to make and will be useful for anyone who got a Kindle from Santa Claus, or knows someone who did.

I’ve sketched out my design and made a chart and using this knitted a small section as a sample. I’ve got photos of all of this and written a short description and saved it as a single PDF. I sent the whole thing off today.

This is my first magazine submission and I don’t really know what to expect. Have I fit the brief? Will my idea be suitable? Will I hear back? I simply don’t know. Getting my designs in a national magazine is an important step in my nascent design career, though, so I’m hoping it works. Watch this space.

1 comment:

Ready Steady Knit said...

Good luck with your design I think you are very clever to be able to do that. I am just pleased when I can follow a pattern never mind design and write it. Clever clogs!