Tuesday 2 April 2013

Bank holiday knitting

Due to temperatures predicted to not even reach double figures – and the fact that we're really quite lazy – we had no plans for the long weekend. It was bliss - four days just for knitting, eating chocolate, drinking tea (wine) and playing with cats.

This means that, knitting-wise, I've had an incredibly productive weekend. My Knit Now sample is done and looking gorgeous if I do say so myself. I'll start blocking it tonight and send it off once that's done. I've made a good old start on the baby cardie for my friend. Baby clothes are great to knit. They're so tiny and hardly take any time at all to make.

For the cardie I've been making a note of the times I start and finish knitting each time. This is certainly not scientifically rigorous. I might sit down to knit at 7.30pm and stop when I go to bed at 11.30pm. But in that time I'll stop to have a read of my Twitter feed, communicate with people on Facebook, drink tea (wine), snuggle with the cat and I generally have the TV on in the background which is sure to steal my attention away for some of the time (especially if David Tennant happens to be on screen...).

Doing this will, however, give me a general idea of how long it's taken me to finish the project, which will be very useful when deciding what and whether to make things for friends in the future. Non-knitters don't understand how much time and work goes into a knitting project, and it's important not to sell your skills and time short when agreeing to knit something for a friend.

They might look like tiny flags, but actually they're
(l-r) a sleeve, the back and two fronts. My own photo.

No comments: