Wednesday 12 November 2008

My first '-a-long

I'm about to start my first '-a-long. I'm sure you know what I mean by this, and if you don't: read on. On this occasion it's a shrug-a-long, in which me and some knitting chums are knitting a shrug, kind of at the same time.

This is my chosen shrug: Cobweb, found on Ravelry and first seen in the January 2007 issue of Prima.


Mine will be much simpler than that one though, because I'm not doing the fancy-schmancy beading or the flowers - there'll be no Lurex Shimmer Gleam in my shrug. I bought the yarn at the weekend. It's made in Rowan's Kidsilk Haze, and I believe the colour is Glacier. I've not cast on yet, but that, time permitting, will happen tonight.

I fear I have lost before I begin, though. The venerable Super Monkey has already finished hers, bar the blocking. And giant Spanner la Moo is coming along nicely too.

This will be my first attempt at something lacy, so probably I shouldn't be using mohair, which apparently isn't the easiest to knit with. But no one ever got anywhere by not using fluffy yarn. Or something. Hopefully it'll turn out OK, and I'll get it done before Chrimbo, because it's meant to be a pressie for my mum.

For those of you who are signed up, here's a link to the pattern on Ravelry: Cobweb.

No comments: