Wednesday 18 August 2010

Finally, a finished object!

I finished knitting my cable tunic some time ago. Getting on for a year in fact. Last week I admitted this shameful piece of information to my knitting group. They shouted at me and made me sit in the corner. So, in a bid to avoid such treatment this week, I've spent the last seven days sewing up.

It has been an easy process. I managed to half set in one sleeve before realising the wrong side was showing. Before this I couldn't decide which stitch would be best for each seam, so had to start each several times over until I'd decided which to use. In the end I went for fake grafting for the shoulder seams, which gives a nice invisible edge, and back stitch for all others. I tried mattress stitch, but it just wasn't working for me.

Of course these weren't the only problems. I also managed to stab myself under the thumbnail with a pin. It bled, but not on the knitting so it wasn't a disaster. And then Sherlock - my chosen entertainment for this job - disappeared from iPlayer.

I don't like sewing. I'm not very good at it, and it takes me ages. I'm not entirely pleased with all my seams, but I did notice a definite improvement as I went. My final sleeve seam is a delight.

Despite my many trials and setbacks, you'll be please to read that the job is done! Yep, all sewn up and ready to wear. It even fits (I was concerned it was going to turn out too small). But don't take my word for it - here are some photos!



No comments: