Thursday 12 August 2010

Sweet charity

I’ve made three baby blankets over the past year, and now I’m knitting another. This one is different, though. At the same time, both more and less personal and important. Let me explain.

The previous blankets have all been for friends, people I care about. I will meet and get to know the babies that are currently snuggled up in blankets I’ve made. This makes me happy. The blanket I’m currently knitting, though, is for charity. Bliss provides vital care for sick and premature babies in the UK, as well as supporting parents of sick babies and providing information for health care professionals. This work is hugely important, and something that I wanted to support.

I don’t have children, so I can’t even imagine what it must be like to have a child so sick that you can’t even take it home. I learned something about that pain in a recent edition of Knitting. One of columnists wrote of her experiences with her very ill newly-born. It was heart rending; it inspired me to knit this blanket.

I’m just over half done now and I’m sure this won’t be the last charity blanket I knit. The thought that something I’ve made might provide comfort to a poorly baby and to the distraught parents of that baby, well that makes me happy too.

For more information about knitting for Bliss, please click here.


1 comment: