Thursday 30 May 2013

An update - the Comme Ca top

Things are going well on the Comme Ca crossover top, my most recent knitwear design. I’ve finished all the different elements – the back, the two fronts and the two cap sleeves. Everything is blocked apart from the sleeves.

So now I have a decision to make. Normally when I do a collar I sew one shoulder edge together and then pick up stitches around the whole neckline, creating a single collar with no join. To do this with the crossover top, I would have to pick up stitches all the way up one front, around the neckline of the back and all the down the second front. That’s a heck of a lot of stitches. Doing each piece separately, however, means joins in the collar.

My usual way of dealing with this would be to take my preferred option and just see how it goes. But in this case my preferred option is to do the collar in one go, and picking up all those stitches is going to be somewhat labour intensive. If it doesn’t work, and I suspect it won’t, that’s an awful lot of time wasted. Maybe a compromise would be to join one front to the back and do the collar as one piece then edge the second front and join it all together.

The edging still needs to be added to this.

No comments: