Tuesday 14 May 2013

New crochet design

In progress. Single rounds of treble crochet form
the thin rounds and double rounds of the same
stitch make up the thick rounds.
I’ve just embarked on a new crochet blanket design. The pattern was inspired by the print on a duvet cover glimpsed on TV show Murderland. It’s a series of concentric circles of differing thicknesses in white, pink and red.

I’ve figured out how to make the circle, working the right number of increases to create a flat piece that won’t curl up. I tried out several versions to get the right look. First using a quadruple crochet stitch combined with double crochet to make the different thicknesses, but finally deciding on using just treble crochet, but one row in a single colour for the thin circles and two rows for the thick ones.

Working out the increases proved problematic. I searched for advice, which said to increase by the number of stitches in the first round, so if you crochet 12 stitches into the foundation circle, then you increase by 12 on every other round. But I decided to ignore this and try random numbers of increases. Turns out that I should have just followed that formula. You live and learn.

The plan now is to make lots of circles, alternating the pink and red rounds, and then crochet them into squares and join the squares to make a blanket. I might then border the whole thing with smaller circles in squares, again alternating the pink and red.

Two finished circles. Now I just have to figure out how to
make them into squares so they can be joined.

No comments: