Thursday 21 March 2013

Some sketches

First things first: I can't draw. When I start a design I have a picture in my head showing exactly what it is I want to achieve. And then I try sketching it, and at best I end up with a not-very-close approximation. It's the best I can do, but it gives me something tangible to work with, which is surely the point. So with this in mind, I present some of my sketches that I hope to turn into actual garments and designs at some point.

Lace pattern
This is a pattern I worked out based on the embossing pattern on a sheet of kitchen roll. Yes really. I want to turn it into a lacy shawl.

Knitted dress
I’ve been hankering after knitting a dress for ages. But I’ve shied away so far because it’ll take ages and I’d do the whole thing in stocking stitch so it won’t be especially interesting to knit.

Knitted skirt
Apparently flared below-the-knee skirts are going to be in this autumn. This one would have yarn overs to create the flare. I can’t decide whether a ribbed section at the top would be best or straight stocking stitch.

Samurai-style tunic
This would be a flared-sleeve top with a deep V neck and then a ribbed band knitted in the round attached to it. Done in white or cream. Or possibly black.

Rib-waisted tunic
The clue’s in the name – it’s a tunic, with ribbing at the waist.

No comments: